The ZZ Plant is characterized by its waxy green leaves above the surface of its potting mix, and its large potato-like rhizomes underneath. These rhizomes store water, making the ZZ a hardy, drought-tolerant houseplant that only needs water every few weeks.
- Arrives in a nursery grow pot nestled in your planter choice
- Choice of small (5" diam) or medium (7" diam) planter
- Grow pot only measures 4" in diameter for small and 6" for medium
- Acadia is porcelain; with drainage hole and rubber stopper
- Balboa, Grant and Hyde are ceramic; Hyde comes with drainage hole and saucer
- Upcycled is made from recycled plastic; comes with drainage hole and rubber stopper
- Limited Edition Grant has a removeable drainage plug
Medium to low indirect light
Water every 2–3 weeks
You Might Like
Zamioculcas zamiifolia, affectionately called the ZZ plant or Zanzibar Gem, is a tropical plant in the aroid family, Araceae. It is native to Zanzibar, Kenya, and Eastern Africa. You might spot large potato-like rhizomes under the surface of its potting mix. Having evolved in drier conditions than most other aroids, these plants have evolved rhizomes that store water to help the ZZ plant survive drought in its natural environment. The rhizomes are actually underground stems, and what you see above ground are the stems' leaves. Using these underground rhizomes, the plant slowly creeps over time to new locations, spawning new aboveground leaves along the way.
Become a Subscriber
Take the guesswork out of plant shopping and enjoy the element of surprise with our plant subscription boxes! Choose between our Classic or Pet-Friendly subscription—and receive a new plant and ceramic planter to display it in delivered to your door every month. All you have to do is water and enjoy.
→ Includes easy-care plant & chic ceramic planter
→ Plant variety changes month-to-month
→ Pause or cancel anytime after the first three deliveries