Indoor Plant and Delivery FAQS
NEW YORK CITY DELIVERY
We offer a $5 flat delivery fee for tabletop plant delivery in Manhattan below 125th Street, and parts of Brooklyn:
- Brooklyn Zip Codes Serviced
11211 | 11215 | 11205 | 11206 | 11201 | 11238 | 11231 | 11222 | 11251 | 11217
Includes parts of: Williamsburg, Gowanus, Park Slope, Prospect Park, Clinton Hill, Broadway Triangle, Summer Houses, Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn Heights, Prospect Heights, Carroll Gardens, Red Hook, Greenpoint, Brooklyn Navy Yard, and Boerum Hill
* We hope to expand our NYC flat fee delivery areas soon. For delivery in New York outside of the areas listed above, please choose nationwide shipping.
We offer NYC tabletop delivery Monday through Friday between 10AM-6PM, and floor-plant delivery ($50 flat fee) Tuesday and Thursday between 10AM-5PM. For same day NYC delivery, place your order before 10AM.
You will be asked to specify the date you’d like to receive your delivery during the checkout process. A delivery fee may apply for special request deliveries.
All NYC deliveries are delivered by hand. Please arrange for someone to accept the delivery, and let us know who to leave the delivery with, be it a doorman, receptionist, or a neighbor. In the event that no one is able to accept the plant at the scheduled delivery time, we will contact you to reschedule a new delivery time (a $5-$10 re-delivery fee may apply).
USA PLANT DELIVERY
We’re thrilled to announce we are now shipping nationwide to 48 states.
We try to limit the plant's time in the box as much as possible in order to ensure it arrives happy and healthy. Most plants can be shipped Monday through Friday, in order to make sure they don’t get stuck in a mailroom over the weekend. Orders received before 11AM EST are potted, packed and shipped that day. Please note shipped orders will take 2+ days to arrive, depending on location.
Why do your plant varieties differ based on delivery location?
Our plant offerings for NYC Delivery are our top recommendations for easy-care indoor plants that can thrive in an urban environment. They are our tried & true picks – tough enough to make it in the city that never sleeps.
Our plant offerings for Nationwide Shipping are slightly different because we know there’s a big world outside of this concrete jungle. They are all handpicked by our team, and travel relatively easy.
If you’re unsure what plant would work best in your environment – give us a shout at email@example.com. We’d be happy to offer some recommendations.
Help! I am based in New York City, but want one of your nationwide offerings.
No problem! Our Nationwide Shipping offerings are available to NYC residents, too. Unfortunately these offerings cannot be delivered on foot – so expect a small shipping fee and a couple days time between placing your order and receiving it.
Help! I am based outside New York City, but want one of your local offerings.
Unfortunately this is not something we can offer at this time – but we’re working on it. If you want to double check with us about a particular plant or product, shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
RETURNS & EXCHANGES
We want you to be happy with your new houseplant! If for any reason you are unhappy, unless specifically noted on the product page, we allow returns and exchanges up to 30 days after your purchase. Email us at email@example.com to process a return or exchange.
30-Day New Plant Owner Promise
Not everyone is born with a green thumb. We understand. New Yorkers say to us all the time “But I’ll just kill it! Plants hate me.” We promise, they don’t. Being a plant owner takes a little practice just like anything else, but the benefits of greenery are worth it. We don’t want a past negative experience with a plant to stop you from trying your hand at being a plant owner again. That’s why we offer a 30-Day New Plant Owner Promise.
Our 30-Day New Plant Owner Promise to you:
- We choose only easy care plants, which means your job is minimized
- We offer clear, easy care instructions
- We are always available to answer questions and hold your hand should your plant mate require extra TLC
- If for any reason your plant dies in the first 30 days, we will replace it – no questions asked
So repeat after us, “I DO have a green thumb. I DO have a green thumb, I do!” Now go find your perfect plant mate already.
* Please note all floor-sized trees and bushes are nonrefundable and not part of our 30-Day Plant Promise.
SECURITY & PRIVACY
Should you have additional questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am a retailer, can I buy product from The Sill at wholesale?
Our American Made ceramic planters are available for wholesale purchasing. Wholesale orders will be considered for select brick-and-mortar retailers in the US. If you are interested in carrying The Sill in your retail setting, please introduce yourself by email and include the name of your store and a link to your website.
Please understand that not all requests for wholesale orders may be met. Commitment will be based on compatibility with prospective retailer, current workload, and timeline. Email email@example.com for pricing and arrangements.
FAQS - GENERAL PLANT DELIVERY QUESTIONS
Why does my potted houseplant look different than the photos on the site?
It is the nature of handmade pottery and living plants to have slight variations in color, texture, finish, and size. When you order a handmade container from The Sill, you are choosing a one-of-a-kind piece, thus you can expect there will be subtle differences from what is displayed online. If you feel as we do, this is part of the charm of handmade pottery! And plants are living, breathing things – no two are exactly alike! Finally, while we make every effort to display our potted plant colors as accurately as possible, the colors you see will depend upon your monitor. If ever you are unhappy with the differences in your piece versus what is displayed online, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
My order arrived damaged, what do I do?
In NYC, every plant is hand-delivered and the streets of NYC are not always kind (and sometimes doorman and messenger centers are even less kind). Please inspect your package when you accept the delivery. Should your order arrive damaged, email a photo to email@example.com along with the name the order was placed under, within 48 hours of receiving the delivery. We’ll happily replace your order or issue you a store credit.
What type of payment do you accept?
We accept all major credit cards. Please note that online orders may be executed with real-time credit card processing, and your card may be charged before your order is delivered.
FAQS - COMMON PLANT CONCERNS
- How do I choose the right indoor plant?
We specifically choose plants that can thrive in most indoor environments with relatively low maintenance. That said, we do recommend you read each plant description thoroughly to determine if your environment and lifestyle are a match for your desired plant.
- How do I take care of my indoor plant?
Printed care instructions will be included with your plant.
- What if something goes wrong with my indoor plant?
- What if my indoor plant dies?
We understand! These things happen. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help picking a new, healthy plant to fill your beautiful container from The Sill.
- Do I have to worry about indoor plant pests?
We do our best to ensure that on delivery your indoor plant is happy, healthy and free of pests. However, if your plant becomes a victim of lackluster care, it could attract unfriendly critters. The good news is that plant pests are interested in your plant, not you. They stay relatively local to your plant; so don’t let them deter you from having a houseplant. To keep plant pests away, here are our top 5 preventative measures:
- Take care of your indoor plants. Happy plants are the start to warding off pests and disease.
- Trim damaged, dead, or yellowing leaves – they are invitations to pests who are attracted to weak plants.
- Keep plants clean. Give them a quick wash each season. Just stick them in the shower under tepid water.
- Make sure windows you leave open have screens. While screens can’t keep all pests out, they will deter many.
- Circulate the air near your plant. Sufficient air flow can discourage pests from settling in.
And remember, some pest problems are seasonal and some start near the sink. Make sure to clean up discarded food and other items pests might feed on. Most pest problems don't start with indoor plants, but they can migrate there.
- What if I travel frequently, or am planning a vacation?
If you travel regularly, it might be best to choose a plant that doesn’t need frequent watering. For low-light spaces, choose a snake plant or a ZZ plant. For bright-light spaces, a cactus or a succulent. Otherwise, try one of these standby methods:
- Soak it. While you shouldn’t regularly overwater your plants, there are exceptions to the rule. Move your plant to a spot that receives medium light. Fill the saucer with water and wait until it has been completely absorbed and then fill the saucer a second time to the brim and let stand. This should keep your plant moist for a 1-week absence.
- Bag it. First clean your plants well, removing anything that might fall off the plant and rot during your absence. Water the plant thoroughly and then cover with a clear plastic bag. Move your plant to a spot that receives medium light. This should work for up to a 16-week absence!
- Is it safe to keep indoor plants near pets & children?
Some houseplants contain a chemical defense system that can cause burning or swelling of the mouth and throat when eaten by pets or people. Others contain sap that can cause itching or irritation of the skin. It is best practice to keep all plants out of reach of your pets and small children. Not to mention cats have been known to get curious and test the breaking point of our ceramic pots.
See our Plant Care page for more detailed information on how to pick and care for your perfect plant mate.
STILL HAVE HOUSEPLANT QUESTIONS?
Email us at email@example.com or tweet us at @TheSill. We’d love to hear from you.