The Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) is one of our go-to plants for office design. It has a high tolerance for neglect and can thrive in a wide variety of environments - making it a perfect fit for your busy schedule and corner cubicle. It's not just a favorite of ours - the British Royal Horticultural Society awarded the pothos the Award of Garden Merit, a mark of plant quality.
Pothos Plant Care
Sunlight: Bright indirect light. Tolerates low to medium light.
Water: Water weekly. Allow first inch of potting mix to dry out before watering. Tolerates being dry better than being soaked - as these plants are susceptible to root rot. (Need help watering? Check out our Watering 101 guide.)
Humidity & Temperature: Average home environment.
5 Reasons We Love The Pothos:
1. He's an Old World-native,
2. with heart-shaped leaves,
3. is tolerant of our neglect (able to adapt to and enhance almost any environment),
4. and creates a cascade of greenery (its long trailing stems help it climb trees and crawl across ground-floors in its natural habitat).
5. Did we mention he cleans the air? (removes indoor air pollutants such as formaldehyde, xylene, and benzene)
- hanging in windows (creates privacy)
- bathrooms (can tolerate the low light and high humidity)
- high windows (trailing leaves balance a high, awkwardly situated window)
- low windowsills or counter space (spots that might otherwise accumulate junk)
- high corner selves (help brighten-up a dark corner)
- your cubicle (can tolerate artificial light - look for those with solid green leaves, as opposed to variegated leaves which are less tolerant)
Precautions: Toxic when ingested. Keep away from pets and small children.