The Sill – your destination for indoor potted plants – is celebrating our 1st birthday. As we head into year 2, we’d like to take the time to look back, reflect, and say “Thanks!” It has been an exciting ride, and it wouldn’t have been possible without you.
In celebration of our 1-year anniversary, please accept 10% off your order, today, June 3, 2013 through June 7, 2013 using discount code: HAPPYBIRTHDAY.
Read on for a note from our Founder and an opportunity to provide feedback...
Who we are
Plants make us happier, healthier, more efficient and more creative – not to mention they offer clean air! As more and more people move into cities, it’s becoming universally felt – we need to bring more of the outdoors, in.
The Sill was founded on three principles: Ease: we offer easy to care for plants, hand potted and delivered to your door. Accessibility: we operate an online storefront, for shopping any time, anywhere. You can shop by size, amount of light, or the make of the planter. And better yet, we offer care instructions in plain English. Design: we work with talented artists on everything from our web experience to the planters, and the packaging too, accompanied by design guidance and inspiration.
Why we’re here
Wanting to incorporate greenery at home, I quickly realized that potted plants lacked the variety we’ve come to expect from other home furnishings – color, texture, shape, and story. Furthermore, despite the fact that 3 out of 4 households contain at least one indoor plant, I found the shopping experience incredibly frustrating. The Sill aims to solve this common problem, to help put a plant on every sill.
Our Favorite Milestones & Moments
• We raised 105% of our $12K goal, through your pledges on Kickstarter in April 2012
• We launch TheSill.com in June 2012 – and processed our first order on day 1!
• Our TV debut! The Sill was featured on The Today Show soon after launching. More great coverage here.
• Our amazing partnerships with DwellStudio, Gardenista, Birchbox, Sous Style, Better Homes & Gardens.
• Our customers (they're the coolest) – plants are being sent to the offices of Kate Spade, Tory Burch, J.Crew, Google, Twitter, Foursquare, and Huffington Post, to name a few.
• We made it to our first birthday without a single return (an exchange maybe - but hey, no one's perfect)
• Our donation to the NY Mayor’s Fund for Disaster Relief following Hurricane Sandy
• We began shipping select items in February 2013
We’re dedicated to making The Sill more than just a potted plant delivery service. Over the next few months, we will be adding more products, content, and tools to make owning and caring for indoor plants an easy, enjoyable and inspiring experience. And we will continue to explore new ways to make our potted plants better too – by expanding our plant offerings, our delivery service, and by making sure you have the resources you need to care for your growing urban garden.
If you have feedback, comments, or questions about The Sill, please share them with me here.
All of us at The Sill look forward to helping you out in whatever way you need. Our mission is a simple one: a plant on every sill. So don't hesitate to let us know how we can help.
Thank you to our customers and supporters for an unforgettable year! Here’s to many more…
~ Eliza Blank - Founder, The Sill
Keep in touch & Help Us Spread the Word!